The customer portal is where your customers go to manage all things billing with respect to your business. It allows your customers to complete most billing tasks in a self-service portal, like submitting payments, viewing invoices, subscribing to services, and more. The customer portal is provided by Invoiced with no coding experience or extra setup required. Customers can access the customer portal at anytime and from anywhere with an internet connection.
Within your customer portal, customers will be able to:
- Submit payments
- View and search all invoices, estimates, credit notes, and payments
- Update contact information
- Enroll in AutoPay and manage payment methods
- Approve payment plans
- Approve estimates and pay up-front deposits
- Apply open credits
- Make advance payments
- Purchase subscriptions
- Ask billing-related questions
- Download supporting documentation on their account, invoices, estimates, and credit notes (file attachments)
All of these features can be enabled or disabled as desired in order to better suit your needs.
Tour of the Customer Portal
The My Account page is the home page of your customer portal. It provides a tailored summary of a customer's account. The screen will show different contextual information depending on the state of the account, such as if they are a subscriber or have an active payment plan
The Activity page allows your customers to see a list of invoices, estimates, credit notes, and payments. Each transaction type can be filtered (date range and status) and searched (i.e. by invoice #). Customers can select multiple invoices to pay with a single payment here. They can also export transactions to CSV and PDF
The Documents page allows your clients to view and download files attached to their customer profile. This tab is only shown if the customer has at least one file attachment.
The Statements page allows your clients to see a current Balance Forward or Open Item statement. They have the option to see up to 3 years of previous Balance Forward statements
The Billing Details page allows your customer to update contact information, like email address and billing address
The customer portal works out of the box with no configuration. You can customize the behavior of the customer portal in Settings → Customer Portal. Here are some behaviors that can be customized:
- Partial payments
- Advance payments
- AutoPay enrollment
- Modifying contact information
- Applying open credits
- Customer portal subdomain
Your customer portal is hosted at its own subdomain that you can locate in Settings → Customer Portal. Any customer facing activity happens on this domain, like viewing invoices or paying. Customers can also access the customer portal by going directly to this URL.
We strive to make the customer portal work with as many web browsers as possible, although a recently updated web browser is recommended. In order to access the full functionality, the visitor's browser must be configured with:
- Cookies enabled
- TLS v1.2 or above
Leave a Comment on Invoices
Customers can provide feedback on their invoices in the customer portal by adding a comment to the invoices. This allows customers to ask questions regarding the information on the invoice as well as resolve any billing issues that might arise.
Invoiced will also flag the customers invoice if a comment is left and alert the users on the Account profile. This gives the business an easy way to filter out invoices that need attention. Once a response is left on the comment, the invoice can be marked as resolved to remove from the needs attention filter.
Signing In Customers
Customers must be signed in to access the customer portal. We've made signing in as simple as possible while remaining highly secure. There are a few ways that customers can sign in:
- Email sign in Customers can visit your customer portal (yourusername.invoiced.com) directly and request a sign in link by simply entering in their email address. We will then immediately send them an email with a Sign In button. The email address provided must match a main email address or attached contact for a customer profile in your Invoiced account. We will only send a sign in link to email addresses matching this criteria.
- Magic Links Magic Links allow you to securely generate URLs to sign customers into the customer portal. This allows you to transparently sign users into the customer portal from your app or website without requiring an additional login step. We only recommend generating a sign in link for users that you have already authenticated through your own login system. Magic Links can be generate through the API or through the dashboard by opening a customer profile and clicking Actions → Generate Sign In Link.
- Sign up pages We temporarily sign in any customers when they sign up from a sign up page. On the thank you page there is a Go to My Account button.
- Manage Subscription links We temporarily sign in customers when they click on the Manage Subscription button on subscription email notices. This allows customers to easily update payment information.
The customer portal can be tailored to fit more unique use cases with these advanced configuration options. It is recommended that a web developer handles these modifications.
Google Analytics Tracking
You can include the Google Analytics tracking script on all customer portal and sign up pages. This enables you to track usage and adoption of the customer portal.
Setting up Google Analytics:
- Go to Settings → Customer Portal in the Invoiced application.
- Enter in your Google Analytics tracking ID (i.e. UA-XXXX-Y)
- Click Save.
Going forward you will start to see activity in Google Analytics for customer portal traffic.
You can use your own domain name in the customer portal (i.e. billing.mycompany.com) instead of using the invoiced.com subdomain. Custom domains can be setup in Settings → Customer Portal → Setup Custom Domain. The only requirement is that you can create a CNAME DNS record to custom.invoiced.com for your domain name.
You can modify the look and feel of the customer portal by providing your own CSS stylesheet. The stylesheet will be added in addition to the default stylesheet on all customer portal pages. This can be setup in Settings → Customer Portal → Custom CSS.
Content Security Policy
Customer Single-Sign On
You can use your own authentication system with the customer portal instead of using the email-based sign in method. This feature allows you to sign in users into the Invoiced customer portal using your app or website's existing authentication system. The way that it works is that any customer portal visitor that is not signed in will first be redirected to the sign in page URL that you provide. Once you have authenticated the customer you will then redirect them using a magic link. Your customer will then land in the customer portal, signed in as the correct user.
This feature can be enabled in Settings → Customer Portal → Customer Portal Authentication.
Only customers that visit your customer portal's home page (eg. https://mycompany.invoiced.com/) will be redirected to your authentication system. If a customer clicks on a view invoice or view statement link then they will be signed into the customer portal automatically without first redirecting to your authentication system.