Invoiced integrates with QuickBooks Desktop out of the box to extend the accounts receivable capabilities of QuickBooks. This document describes how to set up the integration and how it works in detail.
The QuickBooks Desktop integration ships with the following capabilities:
- Importing outstanding invoices from QuickBooks Desktop
- Importing customers from QuickBooks Desktop
- Reconciling payments received on Invoiced to QuickBooks Desktop
- Syncing payments recorded on QuickBooks Desktop to Invoiced
Sync to Invoiced
Sync to QuickBooks
The QuickBooks Desktop integration works with these versions of QuickBooks (Windows only).
- QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions (2015 or later)
- QuickBooks Premier (2015 or later)
- QuickBooks Pro (2015 or later)
- Canadian editions of QuickBooks (2015 or later)
- UK editions of QuickBooks (2015 or later)
- In order to begin syncing with QuickBooks Desktop first go to Apps → QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click Install.
- Adjust the integration settings to suit your requirements.
- Click Download QWC configuration.
- Click Generate QWC configuration to download the QWC file.
- Install QuickBooks Web Connector on the computer where QuickBooks is installed, if you have not already.
- Open the downloaded invoiced.qwc file in QuickBooks Web Connector.
- Enter in the generated password. Make sure you do this before closing the configuration screen on Invoiced because the password is irretrievable once you click Done.
- Once you have installed the web connector you can adjust the integration settings to suit your requirements.
In this section you will learn how to use the QuickBooks Desktop integration.
These are the steps to run an Invoiced sync. This will sync the supported data flows between QuickBooks and Invoiced.
- Open QuickBooks Web Connector.
- Close any open windows on QuickBooks associated with the documents that will be synced.
- Check Invoiced and click Update Selected.
- When the sync has completed you should see your data on Invoiced.
Once the integration is fully configured, new transactions will sync with Invoiced on a going forward basis. The integration does not sync data created prior to the integration being installed. See Importing Data for instructions on how to import transactions prior to installing Invoiced.
You can tell QuickBooks Web Connector to run syncs automatically by turning on the Auto-Run setting and specifying how often you want the sync to run in the Every_Min box
Here we have documented all of the limitations, nuances, and edge cases to be aware of when using the QuickBooks Desktop integration.
- Customers on Invoiced are mapped to customers on QuickBooks by the name. If you have duplicate customer names in Quickbooks, we recomend merging them before you set up the integration. Duplicate customers can cause syncing issues with Invoiced.
- Changing the customer associated with an invoice, credit memo, or payment is not supported. If you do this in Quickbooks, it will cause a sync error. Instead, you should void the record in Quickbooks and recreate it under the correct customer.
- Modifications to invoices on Invoiced after they are synced will do nothing to the corresponding invoice in QuickBooks.
- Refunds are not currently synced. Any refunds initiated through Invoiced must be reconciled by hand.
- If you are using jobs, the default behavior is that transactions will roll up to the top-level customer on Invoiced. If you wish to have separate customers for each job, please contact Invoiced Support to enable that functionality for your account.
- The integration is a going-forward sync and only imports transactions that are created or updated after the initial sync. If an invoice is partially paid BEFORE the initial sync and is then paid in full AFTER, the invoice will have an incorrect balance on Invoiced because the original partial payment was not seen by the integration. In order to correct this, the original payment will need to be re-created on Invoiced, or the synced invoice and payment must be deleted on Invoiced.
When a sync fails you will be able to see the error message in the Recent Syncs section in Settings → Accounting Sync. Normally the error message will include the invoice # that failed and a detailed reason why it could not be synced. Oftentimes there is a manual action required on your end.
Below we have documented commonly encountered errors and recommended resolutions. If you are still unable to get your books synced then please contact Invoiced Support for further assistance.
Please make sure you are connected to the internet in order to connect to Invoiced.
Every time you download a .qwc file please make sure you are using the associated password. Each time you generate a configuration this will generate a fresh password.
If you are installing a new .qwc file, please make sure that you clear out the old sync first if you are replacing an existing sync.
You will run into this error if QuickBooks is not open, and you are running the sync through the web connector. The remedy is to give the sync the ability to login automatically into QuickBooks, even when QuickBooks is closed.
In QuickBooks go to Edit → Preferences → Integrated Applications and then click Properties under the connected integration. In the properties screen, choose "Allow this application to login automatically.
The error message Object "...." specified in the request cannot be found. on a payment record can often be caused by one of these reasons:
- The invoice is already paid on QuickBooks. If you try to create a payment on Invoiced for an invoice that is already paid on QuickBooks then you can see this error. The solution is to ignore the error message.
- You use multiple A/R accounts in QuickBooks. If the payment is applied to multiple invoices that use different A/R accounts then you can see this error. The solution is to first void the failing payment on Invoiced. Then you must create a new payment for each A/R account that is only applied to invoices of the same A/R account.
The error message 1000 - There has been an internal error when processing the request. happens when the data our integration requested cannot be extracted. The 1000 error indicates that the QuickBooks company file has corrupt data and needs to be rebuilt. QuickBooks company files can become corrupt for many reasons. The probability of a corrupt company file increases as your company file size grows.
If rebuilding your company file does not work then we recommend sending your QuickBooks Web Connector log file to Intuit support to resolve the issue. There are also QuickBooks consultants that specialize in rebuilding or splitting corrupt company files as a possible solution.
If you move or rename your QuickBooks company file, then you will find that you get QWC1013 - Could not start QuickBooks errors. In order to resolve the error, you need to download a new QWC file from Invoiced and re-install it into QuickBooks Web Connector.
This can happen when you move your company file from one machine to another. The web connector is missing settings, which are missing from the new machine.
- In Windows search, enter regedit.
- Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Intuit\QBWebConnector\SOAPWebServices
- Right-click and delete each connection.
- Log in to your QuickBooks company file as Admin.
- Navigate to Edit > Preferences.
- Select Integrated Applications.
- Select Company Preferences.
- Next to each connection, select Remove.
- Follow the Setup instructions again and run the sync.
This message in the web connector indicates that the sync is stuck. To solve it, log in to Invoiced and navigate to settings > accounting sync. Cancel the sync that is in progress. Then, start a new sync in the web connector.