A credit note, also known as a credit memo, is a document which a seller provides to the buyer to acknowledge that a credit has been provided to them. Invoiced allows you to issue credit notes to customers, just like invoices.
You can create a new credit note by following these steps:
- In the Invoiced application go to the customer account that will be receiving the credit note.
- Click the + button underneath the customer's balance and then New Credit Note.
- Add the line items that you wish to credit to the customer.
- Click Save and Issue to create the credit note. This will create an open credit note with a balance. The next step is to apply the credit note. You can also send the credit note to the customer.
There is a shortcut to create a credit note using the details from an existing invoice. You can access this shortcut by opening the invoice and clicking Actions → Issue Credit Note. The credit note will have the details pre-populated and upon creation will attempt to apply the credit note to the invoice.
Once a credit note is created and issued you can then apply it to invoices and other open items on the customer's account. You can do this by following these steps:
- Open the credit note in the Invoiced application. You can find open credit notes on the customer account page or on the Credit Notes list.
- Click Apply Credit Note.
- The open invoices for the customer will be loaded. Enter the amount that you wish to apply to each invoice.
- Click Apply to complete the selection and apply the credit note.